Anne Arundel County, Annapolis Rat Control Situation:
Interresting site very helpful info. I had stored furniture in a storage facility and and went into remove yesterday .. And found rats had been nesting I there. I removed a table and chairs and two couches .. Which had rat dropping on. I didn't see much urine but I'm sure it's there. I'm concerned and extremely grossed out because I HATE rodents more than anything In this world. And I have a four month old baby. I want to throw the couches away, my boyfriend and friends tell my I'm exaggerating but by your site I think not. Can you tell me is it still safe to use the couches , their made with slip covers for easy clean up. What type of cleaning should I do to use again or shall I toss them.
Hi David, Great site-very resourceful. We have a night time visitor in our attic. We called a pest control company and they have put traps in our attic and sealed his entery hole. With that said I have a few questions: Its been over a week and he has yet to be caught! We still hear him at night. is that normal? Further, we have a small half inch open gap going around the entire perimeter of our roof. We recently replaced our roof and gutters and I think there was some miscommunication between the contractors. I just have to lift the roof shingles and I can see the opening. With that said, I was thinking of going up and stuffing the perimeter of the house with steel wool. Will that keepp rats out or will they push through and end up in our attic? I was only thinking steel wool 'cause "chicken wire" would be a more labour intensive project. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Annapolis Rat Control Tip of The Week
Why Using Poison Causes Dead Rats In The House
Using poison can be quite risky as you could put your pets as well as young children at risk. If you're laying down rat poison throughout your home, it's possible that it could easily become targeted by toddlers who might be attracted to the small size and colors. Your pets could also be taking an unplanned trip to the hospital if they happen to ingest any of the rat poison as well.
It's Harmful To The Environment:
Using rat poison not only causes dead rats in the house but it's also harmful to the environment. You could end up with a predator in your home that's scavenging off of the dead rats, it could kill off some of the plant life in your area and it can lead to the chance that you might end up with other animals falling victim to the rat poison as well. Many homeowners have woken up to find a bobcat, fox, or coyote killed in their backyard from ingesting a rat that ate poison or from ingesting the poison themselves.
It Also Doesn't Solve The Problem:
Rats are finicky creatures and you might end up with just a few of them dead in the house before they communicate with one another and begin to avoid the areas where you place down poison and traps. Rather than facing ongoing difficulty with poisons and not getting all of the rats out of your home, choosing a different method could be a wise choice for making improvements for the future.
It's Often Time-consuming:
You might end up having to change out the poison or change your trap location on a regular basis just to capture a few rats. This can often be more time-consuming for you and your family.