Hartford County, Hartford Rat Control Situation:
Hi David, We are very impressed with your website! Sadly, we found it after spending hundreds of dollars with a local exterminator/pest control company. Naturally, we still have a rat problem... We would like to attempt to eradicate and/or handle our "little problem" ourselves (we are pretty handy...) and in this economy we need to conserve where we can (especially after we spent money on the worthless "experts"!) My first question for you is... how do you make a one-way door for rats? We roof rats in our attic. The openings to outside have all been closed up, but we would like to be able to leave the animals a way out... just not a way IN. We liked the photographs on your website of the mesh funnel and the tower-looking one-way door, but we can't figure out how to make them. Do you have specifications or design plans for those two items? We would really appreciate it! My second question is... the product that you use to fog/disinfect after clean-up... does it have to be a fog or can it be a spray? If we fog the attic, how long do the people and the house pets have to be out of the house? My third question is... is an N-95 mask sufficient protection when working in the attic? Thank you, David! Sincerely, Carrie
My response: To make a one-way door, roll steel mesh into a funnel a foot long, with an opening the size of a quarter on the exit end. I wear a Tyvek suit, latex cloves, a HEPA respirator mask, and I remove the feces by hand, plus the soiled insulation, and bag it in plastic bags. I then fog the attic with a special cleaner called Bac-Azap, which helps decontaminate. You can try this yourself at your own risk, or hire a local company in your area off of my professionals directory.
Hartford Rat Control Tip of The Week
Why Using Poison Causes Dead Rats In The House
Using poison can be quite risky as you could put your pets as well as young children at risk. If you're laying down rat poison throughout your home, it's possible that it could easily become targeted by toddlers who might be attracted to the small size and colors. Your pets could also be taking an unplanned trip to the hospital if they happen to ingest any of the rat poison as well.
It's Harmful To The Environment:
Using rat poison not only causes dead rats in the house but it's also harmful to the environment. You could end up with a predator in your home that's scavenging off of the dead rats, it could kill off some of the plant life in your area and it can lead to the chance that you might end up with other animals falling victim to the rat poison as well. Many homeowners have woken up to find a bobcat, fox, or coyote killed in their backyard from ingesting a rat that ate poison or from ingesting the poison themselves.
It Also Doesn't Solve The Problem:
Rats are finicky creatures and you might end up with just a few of them dead in the house before they communicate with one another and begin to avoid the areas where you place down poison and traps. Rather than facing ongoing difficulty with poisons and not getting all of the rats out of your home, choosing a different method could be a wise choice for making improvements for the future.
It's Often Time-consuming:
You might end up having to change out the poison or change your trap location on a regular basis just to capture a few rats. This can often be more time-consuming for you and your family.