Montgomery County, Montgomery Rat Control Situation:
David, I hope you can help. My wife and two kids bought our dream house a couple hundred yards from the cliff of the Pacifica ocean here in Moss Beach, CA. I started hearing some scratching in the walls, and began a four month battle with rats that I am losing. I went under the house and there were empty poison containers (from previous owners), thousands of rat poos, and about 20 rat carcasses. I cleaned it all up, and over many, many hours sealed what I believe to be every single tiny nook around the house (I caught a couple rats in the act of going into some holes). We've gone several weeks at a time without any rats, then occassionally we'll hear one. I catch one or two now and then under the house with snap traps, glue traps, but they are small rats, and there are hardly any new poos. Our roof is not accessible to any trees, or anything touching the ground except the water drains. We do have a ton of gopher holes and tunnels all around the house, even right next to the foundation (but none that seem to open up under the house) But currently none of us are sleeping because of one (what sounds like) big rat. It runs around and scratches all night between about 10 pm and 6 am. It is above and around our bedroom (below the kitchen) walls. Sometimes I feel like taking my chances with a pick axe, and blowing open the wall like a madman trying to get that rat. What would be your recommendation? Thank you so much, Marc
Montgomery Rat Control Tip of The Week
The Myth That Poison Makes Rats Thirsty And Die Outside
No, rat poison doesn't make the rat thirsty. Poison doesn't make the rodent go out to drink, and along these lines die outside. Rat poison makes the rat dormant, and it dies any place it happens to be at when the poison takes effect. Since the rats living inside a house or building invest most of their energy inside the structure, they usually die inside that building, not outside.
Will Poison Make A Rat Thirsty And Die? (NO - That's A Myth)
Individuals use poisons since they think it is a protected, viable, hands-off strategy for evacuating pests. They have certain thoughts regarding it, but what amounts of those thoughts are true? One thought many convey is that poison will make rodents thirsty. When they consume the poison, they will out of nowhere have a solid, insatiable thirst. That will lead them outside, looking for water, where they will inevitably die. With this thought, poison appears to be the undeniable answer. It gets the rats out and kills them, getting rid of your concern with few to no drawbacks. The problem is, none of that is valid. Poison won't have this impact on rats or mice, or some other animal so far as that is concerned.
Using poison doesn't prompt thirst. It won't cause the rat(s) to leave the property, and go outside to find water. None of this is true; they are all myths. Poison will kill rats, however, not through thirst. Poisons kill rats in different ways, contingent upon the kind of poison you use. No poison will make the rodent want to leave the property whatsoever.
With each one, there is a higher possibility of the rat dying in your home. Ordinarily, this is going to mean within your dividers. Poisoned rats and mice are likely going to build up inside the dividers, and that is if they all eat the poison. There are various issues with poison, such as its ability to kill other animals, and the pain it inflicts on the rats, which adds to the negatives of it as a solution to pest invasions.