Marion County, Ocala Rat Control Situation:
Hi, I have a question regarding rodent poo. Here's the story... We have a vacation rental house in Ocala Florida. There can be people staying for weeks or empty for weeks. We are staying at the house now. The other evening, we came in. I turned the bedroom light on and noticed a very black dropping on the night stand. Only a single dropping. It was bigger than a mouse dropping and more round than oval. It did have the one end that looked pinched. I got a piece of tissue to clean it up and it was very soft and somewhat powdery. I also had my phone charger plugged in the wall. I can't remember if the other end was on the nightstand or the floor, but the cord was stretched out...still plugged in the wall, but going under the bed. I haven't looked under the bed, but I guess I should. Since this did not look like any mouse dropping I have seen and only a single dropping, I tried to tell myself it was from a gecko. However, I started searching the web and I keep seeing where gecko poo has a white tip like bird droppings. What I found did not have white, so maybe not a gecko. Do you think it sounds like a rat? Again, I have only found the one single dropping. Thanks for any info!
Ocala Rat Control Tip of The Week
Why Using Poison Causes Dead Rats In The House
Using poison can be quite risky as you could put your pets as well as young children at risk. If you're laying down rat poison throughout your home, it's possible that it could easily become targeted by toddlers who might be attracted to the small size and colors. Your pets could also be taking an unplanned trip to the hospital if they happen to ingest any of the rat poison as well.
It's Harmful To The Environment:
Using rat poison not only causes dead rats in the house but it's also harmful to the environment. You could end up with a predator in your home that's scavenging off of the dead rats, it could kill off some of the plant life in your area and it can lead to the chance that you might end up with other animals falling victim to the rat poison as well. Many homeowners have woken up to find a bobcat, fox, or coyote killed in their backyard from ingesting a rat that ate poison or from ingesting the poison themselves.
It Also Doesn't Solve The Problem:
Rats are finicky creatures and you might end up with just a few of them dead in the house before they communicate with one another and begin to avoid the areas where you place down poison and traps. Rather than facing ongoing difficulty with poisons and not getting all of the rats out of your home, choosing a different method could be a wise choice for making improvements for the future.
It's Often Time-consuming:
You might end up having to change out the poison or change your trap location on a regular basis just to capture a few rats. This can often be more time-consuming for you and your family.