Orange County, Orlando Rat Control Situation:
hi david, i came across your site... guess why? There's a rat between my unit (main level condo) and the upper unit. it runs up and down the chimney, across my ceiling in a soffit in a space about 4' wide x 12' long x 2' high. my handyman set 2 rat traps yesterday via removal of a can light ( also took photos of the feces to verify not squirrel). they both went off withing 20 minutes of setting but the creep didn't get caught even though there was a huge scuttle that sounded like the tasmanian devil. to find out, the handyman set the traps on top the 2x4. argh. it was quiet all night and just as soon as we thought it was scared away, the noise started up this morning. local exterminators want to drop pellets after an 'exterior inspection' for $300 - $400. (the squirrel catcher assessed the roof and grounds yesterday and yes there are a few places and probably more.) people who have poisoned rats that haven't been able to get outside say not to use poison because the animal stench is hideous and lasts up to 6 weeks. at the moment, the varmit is banging around up there, i guess walking around the traps. any suggestions? it's driving us crazy, esp when it gets aggitated or perhaps fending off a competitor - it literally sounds like a bar room brawl. thanks - gaylene
AAARGHH!!! Never use poison! It only makes the problem worse! You need to seal the entry holes and trap and remove the rats.
so i've seen what i think is a mouse in my son's room. It was a little bigger than the palm of my hand and grey. i live in a three story apartment complex in Winter Park and hear them in my walls at night. I had made a couple of holes at the bottom of each of my two bedrooms and the living room for my cable wire. I wanted to know how to get rid of them, which traps work best, how long does it take to get rid of them and how do i know if i got them all? any help would be greatly appriciated. thanks.
It's more likely a juvenile rat than a mouse in central FL. You need to have either the building sealed shut, or the inside areas leading into your apartment. Give me a call, and I can come inspect the apartment for free.
Orlando Rat Control Tip of The Week
Why You Should Never Poison A Rat
Whenever people have a rat problem in their house, the first solution that does run through their mind is to poison the rats. Apart from being an inhumane way of getting rid of rats, the use of this method of rat removal has more disadvantages than the quick solution that it offers.
Are you also thinking of poisoning the rats in your home? If yes, you need to take a look at the following reasons why the poisoning of rats is a bad idea.
A Danger To Pets And Non-target Animals
Rats poisons are usually mixed with rat baits or food substances with a strong smell in order to help attract rats. Alongside attracting the rats in your home, this poison will also attract your pet and any other animals. When consumed, this could lead to the unfortunate death of your pets.
Apart from that, when rats are poisoned and improperly disposed of, scavengers like a hawk that feeds on dead rats can also get poisoned when they feed on a poisoned rat.
Danger To Your Home
When you poison rats, never expect them to die where you can easily find them. When rats are feeling unwell, they tend to isolate themselves in places that are hidden. As a result of this, when rats die in your home, you will have to search your house thoroughly before you can find them. And if you can't find them, you will have to cope with the horrible smell of the decomposing rat bodies.
There are even instances where homeowners have to break into the wall of their house just to remove a poisoned rat.
The indiscriminate use of rat poison can also contaminate your food when rats consume the poison and begin to feed on other things in your home as they move around.
Having shared this, you need to consider other ways of removing rats in your home to keep your environment safe.